Ecstatic Dance is a conscious movement practice that invites people to drop out of their minds and into their bodies to unwind and open to inner wisdom.
Dance, Music and Cacao Medicine are the center point of these ceremonies catalyzing ecstatic states, where conscious mind limitations dissolve, opening the doors to the vast subconscious intelligence.
It is an opportunity to connect deeply with self and others in fun ways words cannot express. A gracious experience to meet yourself as you are and open a space where you can see beyond who you think you are… It’s about you, freedom, joy and honesty.
This journey will offer a space to develop self-awareness, be moved by deep emotions, expand your intuitive awareness and align your actions with your intentions.
The session starts with an intention setting, followed by a set of somatic exercises used in shamanic practices to induce a state of relaxed awareness or trance and prepare for the dance journey.
What kind of music is played and what do we do?
We play music that encourages movement. Our sonic journey is a fusion of world music, electronica, dubstep, tribal house, classic remixes and more!
A few samples here: https://www.mixcloud.com/dancingfire/
*** All the activities during the Ecstatic Dance events are open invitations and it’s your choice to participate or not.
When you feel you need a break – you can use the cozy chill out space to lay down, meditate or just observe and process.
In this space, all are welcomed into radical self-expression and acceptance. Do yoga, stretch, dance like no one is watching, or just chill and enjoy the music.
– 5:30 PM – Yoga Session (please bring a yoga mat)
– 6:30 pm – Opening circle – To step on an inner journey, first we need to feel comfortable with the environment and the people around us. We cannot feel at ease when we are surrounded by complete strangers.
In the opening circle, we get to hear everyone’s voice and sense their mood. This will help our bodies to relax and connect with the energy in the room. You can always pass if you don’t feel like talking.
– 6:50 pm – Warm up exercises – a combination of Qigong and other somatic exercises designed to release tension and get the body ready to enjoy the Dance Journey.
– 7:00 pm – Dance Journey – music starts in a low beat to give us the chance to connect with the rhythm in a relaxed way.
You choose when you allow your body to be moved and come alive, following your inner expression.
The rhythm progressively increases once the room starts to move. It may reach a high energy several times during the dance and slow down to conclude with a smooth landing back to stillness at the end.
– 8:40 pm – Music stops and we have a wind-down meditative moment. Depending on the event – there will be Singing bowls, Didgeridoo, Flute or other traditional acoustic instruments to help in this process.
– 8:45 pm Sound Healing with special guest Alexis Star
– 9:15 pm – Closing circle – we clap together three times and the fourth time back to the earth to snap out of trance an close the dance.
– 9:20 pm – Non-verbal time is over – have a chat with the people you shared the space with during the dance.
Ecstatic Dance Agreements
To maintain ultimate freedom we agree to the following:
1. No talking on the Dancefloor
2. No Cellphones
3. No street shoes on the Dancefloor (light, soft shoes are allowed)
4. No showing up drunk or drugged, no pictures, video, or wearing of scent.
5. Respect the Space – Others’ Space and the Collective Space.
When Approaching others:
– Listen for a Yes (get eye contact first)
– Respect any No (when they are ignoring you)
– Respect the Solo Dancers’ Right to their Space
– Hands in prayer at heart means: “I see you, and thank you for the dance (that just ended).”
You will be asked to leave if you do not follow these agreements.
Participants must be 18yo+ (The dance itself is suitable for all ages but the opening sharing circle might not be. Sometimes people share things not suitable for a young audience. Also an immersive experience cannot happen when looking after someone else.)
*** The Cacao Ceremony is scheduled once a month – check the schedule for details.
Arrive no later than 7:30 pm and leave whenever you want but be mindful not to disturb the other participants.
For an updated schedule please visit the official Ecstatic Dance Brisbane Events Page